In case you don't know, Who Killed Nelson Nutmeg? is a children's feature film I am co-directing with Danny Stack. You may know Danny as my co-host of the UK Scriptwriters Podcast.
It is going well and we are on schedule so far. We are fine-tuning the process as we go of course. But we got a lot right! It is all too easy to overlook those and focus on the negative. But here's what we got spot on:
- Starting the audition process early means the kids feel like a real unit now and get on well together. There is a good vibe, which helps a lot.
- Having two caravans on site next to each other is perfect. One for crew, one for cast.
- The crew is just the right size, allowing for some flex (e.g. we split off a B-unit the other day) but without people hanging around waiting for things to do.
- We have hired a minibus everyday to take us there and back. This means everyone arrives fresh, plus it is no more expensive as it saves about 5 or 6 people driving cars.
- The location is amazing. Not just in how it appears on screen, but also the helpfulness of the people there. Free plug for them - Freshwater Beach Holiday Park.
But never mind all this text - here's some pics (thanks to Jo for these snaps) ...
|Danny on location. Steve has a breather.|
|Some of the crew|
|Adrian wrangling the files|
|Dan Mellow adopts the edit position|
|Dylan rehearses for his part in the 'staring competition' (no joke!) Chloe has to help him out|
|Yep. We can burn through 480GB in an afternoon|
|So many funny faces here|
|Never too early to start promoting the film!|
|Mum gets the brew on|
|P-Dizzle does her MA dissertation|
|Elliot has a run in with "Mr Slug"|
|You must be this tall to be in the scene|
Lastly, the IMDB page for the film is slowly being updated also.