Find me online

Facebook LinkedIn YouTube IMDB ProjectorFilms   




Sunday, February 28, 2010

Metro 2033



The Times has an interesting article about a book (now becoming a game) called Metro 2033. Read the article here.

The book has been hugely successful and the game is quite well anticipated. Here are three interesting things about the project - none of which could have been true 5 years ago - and what makes it relevant to us.

1 - The book is by Dimitry Glukhovsky. He started publishing it on his blog with comments and criticisms from blog readers prompting a radical rewrite and a whole new second half. The rewrite was then also published on his blog.

2 - The book then got published in book form and has sold well. However, the free version can still be downloaded.

3 - The book then got picked up for adaptation - not into a film, but a PC game (for now). The game meant Dmitry could be more closely involved.

All 3 of these represent our changing times and prove that the project plans you had in place a few years ago may need looking at again.

A couple of links...

Wikipedia page
Official site

2 comments:

M.joshua said...

Tim, these posts are the ones that really got my attention and made me appreciate your blog. I've been reading you for a while and I greatly appreciate your insights on screenwriting for game design.

I'm presently an interactive (web) designer/art director in Pennsylvania who has a love for writing. I've also wanted to get into game design for the last 18 years (since I was 9).

Your exploration on the subject makes me very much want to talk to you more.

I would love it if we could talk via email. I'm at shatterblade@gmail.com

Tim Clague said...

Thanks for those kind words.

Definitely more to come on games as that medium grows and I get more involved.

If you have any ideas on blog topics, let me know.