Find me online

Facebook LinkedIn YouTube IMDB ProjectorFilms   




Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Too many new ideas

Too many new ideas in Cannes - so I will let them trickle down over the next few weeks. In the meantime here is some news:

The form is going well and some people I've had a meeting with may actually adopt it for next year. Not quite the result I wanted from the meetings - but a result all the same.

I saw Babel last night, the new film from the director (and more importantly in my view - the writer) of 21 grams. Another interesting structure that shows that the 'standard' way is not always the best way.

Tonight is the Straight 8 event. Its been going for a few years now and you can watch on line at any time also. It is a challenge in the same way that 365films is. You must shoot a movie in camera, no editing - and the first time you see it is live in front of the audience. This event sums up the new thinking here. This is a lot of peoples favourite thing at Cannes. That's right - their favourite thing! People want something different, simple as that!

2 comments:

SS said...

How was Straight 8? What stood out for you?

Tim Clague said...

What stood out most about straight8 is how fun the event was. This is in contrast to a lot of the festival and market at Cannes. So perhaps its good news for S8 and bad news for the larger industry. Film wise I liked recall 3 above the rest:
1: The story of a doctor who ate himself
2: The story of a man who swims to france to get some beer
3: The story of a english man who sets off to conquer heaven

All great stories anyway with some great 'oh my god - I've remembered they shot this in order with no editing and no second takes' moments