Find me online

Facebook LinkedIn YouTube IMDB ProjectorFilms   




Tuesday, February 28, 2006

More about cards


Through the new Bournemouth Screen Academy I've been asked to mentor a couple of guys new to scriptwriting / film making. This is good news for me as when I'm talking about some techniques and new ideas it reminds that I've missed them out on the blog.

One idea I did mention was way back in my very first blog entry. It was the idea of using cards. I was advocating its use with regard to exploring the structure of your film - and it is effective in this. In fact the structure of Circumference relies on it. But there are other uses.

The guy I met last night, Stewart, is working on a comedy drama series the details of which I won't go into here (due to confidentiality and the fact that it doesn't matter to make the point). He has the first episode done. He also has some themes for future episodes. What we are going to work on next is some promotional material around the idea, a one page outline etc.

If we are focusing on doing that we don't want to be distracted by a rewrite and writing future episodes. But in our exploration of the outline and talking about ideas we may come up with some great new characters / plots / lines.

The card method helps us here.

We just bang the idea, in whatever form it takes, onto a card for future use. That way we don't get sidetracked or distracted by it - but we also don't ignore or forget it. When we do get back to the rewrite we've got some great ideas already on cards to kick around.

I recommended to Stewart that he goes further and tries to write more cards generally. Why? More tomorrow.

2 comments:

The Gorv said...

Hey Mr C ... you've got a problem with the spelling of 'clought' ... or as you had it earlier 'cloat'.

Stick 'clout' up on one of your cards ... alongside 'c = noun = thing' for 'practice' and 's = verb = doing' for 'practise'!

You know it makes sense.

Tim Clague said...

I'm tempted to corect the original post to make ewe look lyke a foole. But I wo'nt.