Find me online

Facebook LinkedIn YouTube IMDB ProjectorFilms   




Friday, December 16, 2005

Ideas


Mockingbird by Joe Tunmer

I was having a discussion with Joe Tunmer a little while back. Joe spends some of his time teaching at Bournemouth University where he tackles the ever thorny topic of script development. The first part of this of course is 'the idea'.

When I was at University I was taught a method of brainstorming that involved looking around and spinning ideas off. An example: I'm looking at a Mac monitor as I write this. A mac is a coat. I could do a story about a coat and its life - from the rich bloke he buys it to the tramp who dies in it. Joe teaches a similar method.

Rubbish! You'd be bloody lucky to write a great script but thinking 'Hmmm... What's also orange?'

When I ran the scriptwriting workshop I used a different method that started from a point of view of what you wanted to say or what you wanted the audience to feel. Start there. Start at the end. And then work back.

Joe says this method is useless to him. Why? Because students don't have anything to say. What the hell is that about? If you don't have anything to say - get out of the media.

No comments: